Enrollment Information

FCPS provides free public education to eligible Frederick County students age 5 through 20 and also to qualifying pre-school children. To register a child as an FCPS student, please present the following:
  • immunization records
  • proof of date of birth
  • proof of residency
In addition, for pre-kindergarten registration: If you are planning to enroll your child with automatic priority status based on free or reduced-price meal eligibility, also bring ONE of the following:  
  • three consecutive pay stubs from the past six months OR
  • a W2 form showing the prior year's earnings OR
  • a letter from an employer or social services agency (on letterhead) stating the applicant's family income OR
  • foster care documentation.
FCPS also has an international office to assist non-English speaking families: 301-696-6831
Bookmarks for This Page

Records/Documentation Options and Substitutions

The following documents can be submitted as evidence of date of birth:
  • birth certificate
  • physician's certificate
  • hospital certificate
  • baptismal or church certification
  • parent's affidavit
  • passport/visa
The following documents may be used to provide proof of bona fide residency:
  • current property tax bill
  • current rental bill
  • current utility bill (gas, electric, water)

When the child does not live in a home owned or leased by the parent/guardian, the owner/leaser must provide the following to verify the parent/guardian and child reside at that address:

  • a signed, notarized affidavit
  • a copy of a current property tax bill, rental bill or utility bill to provide proof of residency

To Register   To register a student, visit the office of the school your child will attend. If you are unsure which schools serve your neighborhood or childcare center, please see Attendance AreasFCPS Regulation 400-7 provides further information about enrolling a student, including a sample enrollment form. You may also contact the Student Services Office, 301-644-5238.

FCPS may obtain discipline and expulsion records when a student transfers from another school system. The superintendent may deny admission to a student who is currently expelled from another school system, for a period of time equal to the expulsion.

Kindergarten   All FCPS kindergarten programs are full day, most starting at 9 a.m. and dismissing around 3:30 p.m. To enter kindergarten in August, a child must turn 5 years old on or before September 1 of that calendar year. Children entering first grade must have completed public kindergarten or have been approved for entry by FCPS. Whenever possible, parents are encouraged to register their children well in advance of the first day of school so that schools and teachers are prepared to accommodate enrollment.

Parents who do not wish to enroll a 5-year-old in a kindergarten or other approved program may request a 1-year waiver (Waiver Form | Waiver Form in Spanish). At the end of the waiver year, the student will enter kindergarten rather than first grade. For more information, contact the Student Services Office.
Early Entrance to Kindergarten    The Early Entrance to Kindergarten Process requires a parent/guardian to contact the home school for any child born 45 days after the regular kindergarten cutoff.  The administrator will then schedule a meeting to further explore this option.   All information must be in the office of Early Childhood Education no later than May 30th to ensure consideration for Early Kindergarten Entry.

Pre-Kindergarten   FCPS offers pre-kindergarten programs to all students eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Additional factors that increase a child's risk of not being successful in school may then be considered. To enter the pre-kindergarten program this school year, a child must turn 4 years old on or before September 1, of that year. Applications are available at all elementary schools, and registration begins in March. Enrollment is limited. For more information, visit the Pre-Kindergarten page.
Bus service is provided to Pre-K students eligible for transportation under FCPS Policy 441 who live in the attendance area of schools where the classes are offered. Parents are responsible for the transportation of students whose walking route to and from the school is 1-1/4 mile or less or who live outside the attendance area of the school where the classes are held.
Immunizations and Health Records  Health records help school staff support student needs.  The following are required to enroll a student in a Maryland public school for the first time.
  • Verification of all state-required immunizations, recorded on Department of Health and Mental Hygiene form 896 Immunization Certificate.
  • Documentation of a recent physical exam, recorded on the Maryland Schools Record of Physical Examination.
  • PreK and kindergarten students may require evidence of blood lead testing if the student resides or has ever resided in a designated at-risk area by the Maryland Targeting Plan for Childhood Lead Poisoning.  The Blood Lead Testing Certificate form 4620 (or another written document signed by a health care practitioner) shall be used to meet this requirement.
Exemptions from immunizations, a physical examination and blood lead testing are permitted if they are contrary to a students' or family's religious beliefs.  Students may also be exempted from immunization requirements if a physician/nurse practitioner or health department official certifies that there is a medical reason not to receive a vaccine.
Lack of these records may cause delayed enrollment or exclusion from school.  School offices have all required health forms.  Forms are also available on this Web site.  For assistance in obtaining immunizations or a physical examination, please contact the health staff in your child's school or contact the FCPS Health Specialist.
FCPS encourages medical and dental exams for students entering middle school to help identify health concerns that may affect educational performance.  All students who participate in interscholastic sports must have a physical exam before the sport begins.

Out-of-District Transfers   Parents or guardians who want their child to attend a school outside their assigned attendance area must apply by completing the appropriate form, available at all schools or at the FCPS Student Services Office. Approval criteria are stringent. Applications for out-of-district requests for the upcoming school year will be accepted by the Student Services Office starting February 1. Families will be notified of the decision by mail.
Non-Resident Students   Students who come to Frederick County to live with persons other than their parents or legal guardian must apply to attend and may be charged tuition. Students under 18 years of age who are establishing residency by changing guardianship or custody must present a document signed by the court.
Students in State-Supervised Care   State law and regulations govern the transfer of educational records for students who are in the custody of, committed to or otherwise placed by a placement agency, such as a local department of social services or the Department of Juvenile Services. For more information, contact the FCPS Student Services department.
Student Information Card   The school office maintains a Student Information Card for every child and refers to it anytime there is a question, concern or emergency. The form is preprinted with previously supplied information for each student and sent home at the beginning of the school year for parents or guardians to review, correct as necessary and return to the school promptly. Be sure to provide both your home and work numbers plus the name and phone number of your childcare provider or another adult to contact if you are not available. You will want to be sure your child's card is correct and current throughout the year. To comply with HIPAA privacy rules, student health information is requested on a separate form that also comes home at the start of each school year or at enrollment; download the health information card.
Insurance   FCPS does not have insurance coverage for students' personal property. Students are responsible for their personal property on the bus, in school and during school activities. Limited student accident insurance may be purchased through a company approved to offer the program through Maryland schools.  A football accident policy is also available. Visit K&K Insurance's Web site for information, and fill out the enrollment form.  Before purchasing this insurance, you may wish to consult with your insurance agent to see if policies you already hold provide adequate coverage. Note that FCPS does not endorse these programs and does not handle claims or associated problems.

The Maryland Children's Health Program offers health insurance for children up to age 19 and pregnant women of any age from low to average income families. Applications are available in school health rooms or by calling the Frederick County Health Department, 301-600-8888.
More Information About Frederick County Public Schools   The first day students attend one of our schools, they will receive a copy of the newest FCPS Calendar Handbook. It answers many of the questions most often asked about our programs, policies and procedures and features calendar information, such as holidays and parent-teacher conference dates. It also includes helpful tips about transportation, meals and other essentials, as well as telephone directory listings. View the newest FCPS Calendar Handbook.
Additional forms can be downloaded and completed from our Forms page located at http://www.fcps.org/forms.

Last Modified on August 18, 2014